Favorite Anime: Noragami

Favorite Anime: Noragami

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Noragami: Manga vs. Anime (Spoilers)

vs.

When I first started with 'Noragami', I started with the anime first. I found reading the manga of any anime tiresome. But it was through 'Noragami' I realized how important the manga was for any anime because there is so much that you miss out in the anime that is there in the manga and then viewers feel betrayed, because all honestly, it hurts when there is more romance in the manga when in the anime there is less. But there were somethings about the characters in the manga and the characters in the anime that I found really different and it really started to annoy me. So I'll start off with comparing the characters.

1) Yato
VS.

Luckily the main character can't be switched around or changed that much. In the manga, Yato is more serious, more powerful, better looking, even funnier and even bummier. Needless to say that, while the Anime Yato is colorful and amazing, the manga Yato has a better sense of romance. Hehehehe...

2) Hiyori
VS.

Personally, I couldn't help that I believe Hiyori is prettier in the manga. That's just my personal opinion. Once again, one can't change the main character that much. I think Hiyori was fine actually. I didn't mind it that much.

3) Yukine
VS.

Once again, Main character syndrome. But let me just say that when Yukine was stinging Yato in the manga, he was the most annoying little prick on the planet, I felt like strangling him. And in the manga, he doesn't have much of a thing for Hiyori. 

4) Nora
   VS.  

I think I was the most frustrated when it came to Nora's character. In the anime we see her as the plainly evil and horrifying little girl who has a thing for Yato. Are you kidding me? Yato and Nora were raised as siblings and Yato was the one that turned her into a stray, but that's another thing. Nora isn't evil, she just does what she's told to do without question, I don't think she's fathomed that she's doing something wrong yet. She is a confusing character but I honestly don't think she's evil and she actually cares for Yato like some sort of messed up wacky sister.

5) Kofuku
VS.

Kofuku was absolutely adorable and wonderful in the manga and we all loved her to itty-bitty little pieces. But in the anime we see her as a dumb and carefree character. In the manga you actually see glimpses of Kofuku's past before she meets Daikoku and it was so sad that I actually started crying to see the little bright ball of sunshine that she is, crying and blighted.

6) Daikoku
VS.

Daikoku is all that jazz, isn't he? He's serious, he strong, he's fierce and he can see right through Yato's and Kofuku's idiocy. But personally I think I like his manga character more, he looks younger and better looking, plus you get to see the other sweet side of him and how much he truly loves Kofuku and how he really can't say no when she asks for a date, despite her disaster creating tendency.

7)Bishamon
VS.

I think I was frustrated quite a lot with the way the anime depicted Bishamon. We see her a lot as an evil character than a good character. She's beautiful, strong, majestic and all that, but she's also weak, loving and like a mother. We all thought in the manga that it really can't be that bad that she's been chasing Yato around for centuries because of the death f one regalia. But in the end, when we realize Bishamon treats all her regalias like her children and she wears armor because she's weak, we learn to love her and care for her. She even rescues Yato from the under world.

8) Kazuma
VS.

In the anime we saw more of Kazuma's serious and loyal side, but in the manga we see just how caring and sweet he actually is. We see his weak side and his **wiggle eyebrows** love for Bishamon. We also see that he's extremely devoted and sacrificial when it comes to Bishamon's well being. Like the time he threw himself in front of Bishamon to save Yato because she had no idea that Yato actually saved her.

9) Tenjin
 VS.

There was not much of a change when it came to Tenjin-sama. We all know he's that powerful, respected, smart, amazing absolutely ridiculous God. But in the manga for some reason, in the manga I felt like he was really noble and deserving of the name of the 'God of Education' and in the manga he didn't go around at any chance to degrade Yato, no! He's very nice to Yato...although they do tend to fight over who Mayu/Tomone was better suited with.

10) Mayu or Tomone
VS.

Well, Mayu wasn't regarded with that great of a light in the Anime. A lot of people were either like, why did you leave such a great God like Yato. Or they were like, good riddance, you weren't that much of a respectful Shinki either. Or they were like, get lost, Yato is Hiyori's. Plus, she was a lot more gorgeous in the manga, let's not forget the fact that she never stung Yato and she went to go and help him. She is such a strong and beautiful character in the manga, I absolutely love her!

11) Tsuyu
VS.

Well, our beloved Tsuyu didn't get that much screen time in the Anime now did she? Oh keep quiet! She's not a Regalia or Shinki like everyone thinks she is. She's a plum tree spirit that left her tree because she and Tenjin-sama fell in love with each other. There story is so utterly surreal and pink and filled with cherry blossoms it makes me giggle like a little kid!

11) Rabo
VS.

OK, this guy didn't even exist in the Manga. Unless they tried to do something really freaky with Bishamon's rouge Shinki and they turned him into a non-existent God. There is no way Nora would agree to harm Yato by Rabo's hand. Rabo excuse me, you don't even know how to use that mask properly, get out of the way!

12) Ebisu
VS.

Where was my darling Ebisu? He is such an important character! My gosh! He's the one who's name Kofuku exploits. Poor guy, it's ridiculous. He is probably the kindest and sweetest God out there and he only thinks about the good of humans. I mean, tell me that you already don't love this guy. He is also the first God that we get to see reincarnate.

13) Fujisaki or Yato's and Nora's Father
VS.

And if we forget such an important character like him, then we're all going to die because he'll friggin take over the world! This is Yato and Nora's legendary father. He lives by taking over other people's body and he has a thing for Hiyori. He killed Ebisu, killed one of Bishamon's Shinki's and he destroyed Hiyori's family hospital and nearly killed her too! He loves watching Yato get crushed under his feet and Yato has no choice but to obey him because his father is the only one that wished for him. In the OVA 2, he was supposed to be the one that carried Hiyori/Yato on his back.

In the End, in my opinion, Manga Wins!


11 comments:

  1. To be fair, its hard to find a point in the manga to end the first anime without making the pace go faster than Kofuku losing her money so they had to make an anime-original ending. Rabo did a good job of presenting Yato's magatsukami past anyway.

    Ebisu is coming up and the Bishamon-Kazuma arc is given justice in season 2 in my opinion. Other than that, your points are good.

    Also, Manga Yukine is a major ass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do yato and hiyori ever get together?

      Delete
  2. Just based on season 1 I completely agree with you but so far season 2 has covered a fair bit of what was missing so fingers crossed it keeps it up so people who just watch the anime get a complete (or near enough) picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just based on season 1 I completely agree with you but so far season 2 has covered a fair bit of what was missing so fingers crossed it keeps it up so people who just watch the anime get a complete (or near enough) picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yato is the same in the anime as compared to the manga.Simply incorrect to say that he's more this or that in the either. The thing I'm guessing is the main reason for such an impression of the author of this text is that in the anime, you get to hear sounds and actuallysee what is going on, in the manga it's left to the imagination to do the movements in between the frames, and the sounds, so of course one may tend to overlook the overall sillieness of the situation and picture it all waay more gracioisly than it actually is. But I don't know how that's possible, he is as serious as he is ridiculous in the manga and the anime alike. The manga portrayes it all well.Same goes for Yukine.He doesn't have a thing for Hiyori, as much as he does have hyper-awareness of her being a female while he is a boy. That's all, both for the manga and the anime.The ONLYYY thing of a difference in between tbe manga and the anime is the way the story is layed out. Most prominently, there not existing the stupid Rabou arc in the manga. Already when having had first watched the anime the whole of that arc seemed.. Not as good as everything else about the anime.It's because everything about Rabo exists only in the anime for the purpose of making the plot a single season anime thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't find Yukine annoying in the manga. I saw him as a lost, small child who had been forced to live in the spirit world. He had no person to guide him and take care of him. Yato didn't bother to explain how the Far Shore worked, he didn't give him any feeling of safety. Yukine desired to LIVE, make friends, have parents but he believed he couldn't have any. Besides that he thought that as a person who was already dead he could do what he wanted (steal, lie). Many people found him rude, but honestly - he was only a little child. His anime version wasn't so different but I didn't like how sexually active he was. In the manga he never had any crush on Hiyori. First he hated her and after purification she started to be replacement of his older sister. In the anime he had strong hots to her, but she was not just the one. He also blushed around Nora. Besides that, in the manga he was really petite. His anime version looks older and has deep, mature voice. Idk why the Bones company decided to change him so much. Anyway, I like Yuki from the manga much better.
    The other characters:
    Hiyori - her anime and manga selvies aren't so different, yet I think that her manga self looks much better. When is angry then her eyes are sharp and almost dangerous. Her face and body are more skinny too. In the anime her looks is plain. Really plain. Besides that, her voice somehow annoyed me.
    I won't mention the rest because the comment would be too long. I just wanna add that I'm curious of anime version of Take and Kiun. In the manga they both look like 22-26 years old men. I hope the Bones won't mess with their age and personality too much because they make a great combo in the manga.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok... Rabo exist in manga..ebisu exist in anime...And so does yato's father...and yes manga is better

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the people that you where saying "where are they" appear in season two don't worry (though you've probably already seen it) ebisu plays a great role in the anime. I think Yato's more funny in the anime to, that face. And Kofuku having that ditzy thing makes her regalia seem like a parent which makes me laugh, and she matures later. Boshimon and Kazuma are seen different later, once the airs been cleared. I've read and seen them all and I really think that though the anime takes somethings away, it pulls st my heartstrings more and makes me laugh more. Maybe because I saw the show first and you read the anime first, what ever gets us in keeps us in. But I swear "just let me apologize" had me in tears. Nora I think was also presented in a different light than you saw her, I thinl it's more powerful if we see her as evil, and then slowly unravel the truth, we just haven't gotten to that part yet. They need to take it slow and address it. She is abusive, manga and anime. We now just need to see why. Yeah though, Yukine was a little punk though, more so in the manga. And random comment, I freakin love that daikoku is a fanπŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope so much for a season 3 soon. I see the anime first.. two weeks ago and read now the Manga.. I also already spoiler my self and read the newest 19 πŸ˜πŸ€— freak out... but now I say to my self read all 18 in german and than 19 again for better understanding.
    It feel like Yato is more serious in the Manga and Hiyori more sceptical/afraid Yato.. really interesting.. May it's because the german translation is not so good.. I feel the English version is more authentic the Japanese original.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Manga 99% wins. its the OG. Love is put in it by the creators.

    ReplyDelete